Our aim is to ensure that all employees and job applicants are given equal opportunities and that our organisation is representative of all sections of society. Each employee will be respected and valued and as such, we hope will be able to give their best as a result. When we refer to employees we mean anyone working for The Ferret whether full time, part time, freelance or contracted.
This policy reinforces our commitment to providing equality and fairness to all in our employment and not provide less favourable facilities or treatment on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, national origin, religion or belief, or sex and sexual orientation. We are against all forms of discrimination.
All employees, no matter whether they are part-time, full-time, or temporary, will be treated fairly and with respect. When selecting candidates for employment, promotion, training, or any other benefit, it will be on the basis of their aptitude and ability.
All employees will be given help and encouragement to develop their full potential and utilise their unique talents as much as possible considering The Ferret’s circumstances as a small organisation with limited financial and other resources. In light of this though, it is even more critical that the skills and resources of our organisation are fully utilised and we are maximising the efficiency of our whole workforce.
The Ferret is committed to:
- Creating an environment in which individual differences and the contributions of all team members are recognised and valued.
- Creating a working environment that promotes dignity and respect for every employee.
- Not tolerating any form of intimidation, bullying, or harassment, and disciplining those that breach this policy.
- Making training, development and progression opportunities available to all staff.
- Promoting equality in the workplace, which The Ferret believes is good management practice and makes sound business sense.
- Encouraging anyone who feels they have been subject to discrimination to raise their concerns so we can apply corrective measures.
- Encouraging employees to treat everyone with dignity and respect.
- Regularly reviewing all our employment practices and procedures so that fairness is maintained at all times.
The Ferret will inform all new employees and regularly remind existing employees that an equality and diversity policy is in operation and that they are obliged to comply with its requirements and promote fairness in the workplace. We will also draw the attention of funding agencies, corporate partners, our members, job applicants and other stakeholders to the policy.
The Ferret’s Equality and Diversity Policy policy is fully supported by our board.
Our policy will be monitored and reviewed annually to ensure that equality and diversity are continually promoted in the workplace.